Thursday, March 11, 2010

The "Slinky Cake"



Okay, so I don't have any photos of this event... and oh I wish I had them! I still laugh about this and it happened a month ago. For some reason I always associate a "blog posting" with "I have to have a picture" but I suppose that I do not always have to have a picture. So I will get on with the story. :)

I decided to make a spice cake, I love to eat them. I also LOVE cream cheese frosting. These days my brain is a little off, and I accidentally doubled the amount of vanilla in the recipe, so naturally I doubled the entire recipe. (Yum Yum!) Needless to say, my cake finished baking, I let it cool, then I frosted that thing like nobody's business. It was very top heavy. (My mom would be so proud!)

My dear unassuming husband sees the top heavy cake, gets excited, cuts a slice, places it on his plate and then I hear, "OH NO!" it totally lobbed off the plate frosting side down onto the counter! So Neal scrapes it off the counter (ewww) and then notices that some icing was on the bottom of the plate from the cake's disastrous tumble, so Neal tries to LICK it... needless to say I hear "OH NO!" again, and the cake lands on the counter, same spot, same position... frosting side down! All I know is that my husband was COVERED in frosting, and his cake was a mess on the counter. I was laughing so hard I forgot to breathe!

Then to be cocky, ;) I decide that I want a piece of cake. I gently cut a piece of cake, place it on my plate and AS I am holding it in the air to gloat about how "my cake didn't fall" it tumbles onto the stove top, and frosting oozes into the wire heating coils. Dang it.

The next day, I see Neal successfully eating the cake, and he says, "Wow, I love this slinky cake!" Now, this notorious cake has a name.

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated bday! We thought about calling you but somehow with the time change, it was never convenient. It sounds like you had a great day! Loved the story about the slinky cake. :)

    ReplyDelete